Formed in 1853, Blackberry Baptist Church was the fifth Missionary Baptist church in Henry County. Our first pastor was Elder John Robertson. Through the years, several Godly men have led us in worship to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In 1855 William F. Mills and his wife Frankie deeded to the trustees one acre of land to be used as a meeting house. The land was in the area of Rock Run approximately three miles from the present location.
In 1887 John and Marie Rangely deeded to the trustees a tract of land in the location where the church now stands. A frame building was erected in 1888 on highway 687. Mr. & Mrs. John Fretwell gave timber and had it sawed for the church. In 1940 additional land was deeded by Mrs. John Fretwell and with encouragement from Ernest Gillispie the frame building was replaced with a modern brick building in 1946.
God continued to bless Blackberry and it became necessary to build a larger sanctuary to be placed over the existing basement. The new (and current) sanctuary was dedicated on May 26, 1974. By 1979 the church membership had increased to 718, the largest ever in its history.
The heritage of Blackberry is great, but the strength of a church comes from people not programs and buildings.
Our desire is that Blackberry will continue to serve and reach into the community, state and the world with the love of Christ. Our doors and hearts are always open to anyone who would like to come and worship with us...